Lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, trans, intersex and two-spirit people experience harassment, stigma and discrimination too often. And time and time again, this happens at work.
In a recent study commissioned by TELUS, one-third out of 814 Canadians (half of whom identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer), believe that their workplace isn’t safe and inclusive for lesbian and gay employees. 45% of respondents said the same about transgender employees.
The sad truth is discrimination (i.e. heteronormativity, cisnormativity), harassment and violence can manifest in many ways at work including in Total Rewards and benefits packages, internal emails and employer memos, casual conversations and meetings etc.
May 17th is dedicated to International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia (IDAHOT). This is an opportunity for organizations and communities across the globe to bring attention to the challenges faced by LGBTQ2+ people and the actions that need to be taken to advance LGBTQ2+ rights worldwide.
Today and every day, HRPA staunchly stands against homophobia, transphobia, and biphobia in all forms. We believe the rights of LGBTQ2+ individuals should always be protected and respected – and will continue to advocate for more inclusive workplaces alongside HR professionals.
To that end, we prioritize equipping HR professionals with the knowledge and resources needed to support LGBTQ2+ workers. Check out some of our resources below.
Let IDAHOT Day be a reminder of our collective commitment to denouncing prejudice and stigma at work. Let’s continue to ensure everyone, regardless of sexual preference or gender identity, feels safe enough to be themselves.
- Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program – Happening August 9 and November 8
- Summer Conference – July 26 – 28
- Issues Affecting the HR Profession – Check out the section on Diversity & Inclusion
- HR Policy Templates
- eLearning & On Demand – Some key ideas, case studies and exercises to explore:
– Creating a Diversity Mission Statement
– How to Encourage Diverse Perspectives
– Gender Reassignment Checklist for Initial Meeting
– Bullying and Harassment – What’s the Difference?
– Recruiting and Selecting Diverse Talent
- CMHA: LGBTQ Mental Health
June 23, 2022
Getting Ahead of the Curve – Professional Development Opportunities in HRRead more
June 15, 2022
Commemorating National Indigenous History Month and National Indigenous Peoples DayRead more
June 02, 2022
Why the Sandwich Generation is So Stressed Out and How HR Can HelpRead more
May 26, 2022
Celebrating LGBTQI2+ Pride MonthRead more
May 18, 2022