To earn the right to use the Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation, applicants must have a degree from a recognized educational institution. The degree does not need to be in human resources.

​​The degree requirement is established under the statutory authority conferred to the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) pursuant to the Registered Human Resources Professionals Act, 2013​​.  This Act gives HRPA the statutory authority to establish, maintain, develop and enforce standards of knowledge, skill and proficiency. ​The degree requirement ensures that human resources professionals possess the generic competencies necessary to perform in human resources roles at the professional level.

Timeframe and Documentation

The degree requirement is separate from the coursework requirement. For those who earn a degree in human resources, both the coursework and degree requirements may be fulfilled concurrently; for others, the coursework and the degree requirements will be met independently. 

Individuals can write the CHRL Knowledge Exam (CHRL-KE) before achieving a degree, but once the CHRL-KE is passed, registrants have 15 years from that time to show proof of a completed recognized degree and to meet all other requirements for the CHRL designation.

Once a degree has been earned, there is no time limit on the validity of the degree.

As proof that the degree requirement has been met, please submit an original transcript from a recognized educational institution, or original documentation from a recognized credential assessment services noted below, to HRPA. Original transcripts are ordered through the Registrar’s Office of the degree granting institution and may be sent directly to HRPA. Please notify HRPA if your name has changed since achieving a degree. Proof of name change documentation will be required by HRPA.

Executive MBAs will be accepted towards the degree requirement provided they are awarded by a recognized educational institution and are consistent with qualifications at the Masters level. Applied degrees which are awarded by colleges are degrees. Degrees include advanced degrees. Certificates and diplomas do not meet the degree requirement.

Non-Canadian Degrees

Non-Canadian degrees can count towards meeting the degree requirement as long as they are deemed equivalent to a Canadian degree. HRPA accepts credential equivalency assessment reports from the credential evaluation agencies and organizations listed below. An original copy of the report will be required. Be advised that reports must advise of equivalency of a completed degree. Partial completions will not be accepted. The agency or organization conducting the assessment will charge a fee for the assessment. For information about the fees, please contact the agency or organization directly.

Comparative Education Service (CES)

International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)

World Education Services-Canada (WES Canada)*

International Credential Evaluation Services (ICES)

International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI)

*Upon requesting a degree assessment report from WES, an e-report (electronic report) is automatically generated in addition to a hard copy. Once the assessment is complete, HRPA is notified by WES and is able to access the e-report. HRPA will accept the degree assessment in this format instead of requiring applicants to submit the hard copy of the report. The HRPA will also accept hard copy reports from WES.

*Processing of transcripts or other documentation for degree requirement Fee: $25.00 + HST.

Please note that this is only an option through WES, and not through any of the other credentialing agencies at this time.

For more information on this process, please contact WES directly using the contact information above.

Note that these organizations conduct credential assessments for meeting the degree requirement. Candidates wishing to get credit for specific courses to meet the coursework requirement need to apply for Course Approval.​

Information Regarding Degree Granting Programs

Individuals pursuing a degree are encouraged to contact the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities​ to find out what degree programs are offered. Individuals with questions regarding the degree requirement are encouraged to contact the Office of the Registrar. ​​​​​​​