Pensions and retirement savings used to be a relatively straightforward area for HR professionals.
While still a very important element of employee compensation, the landscape of pension and retirement savings has become much more complex.
Longer life expectancies and workplace demographics that often skew toward the more mature end of the spectrum are also complicating factors. And as pension law and regulation continue to evolve, a good understanding of the legal framework, best practices and risk management is critical to successful plan administration.
In this certificate course, master one of the most important elements of employee compensation, and learn how to make your firm's programs as efficient as possible. This is an invaluable opportunity to further your career and enhance your company's effectiveness by becoming an expert in the area of pension and retirement savings.
Develop your understanding of the basics of plan administration and governance, including:
- Learn about the key elements of plan administration, including the key legal obligations.
- Gain a valuable, practical understanding of retirement savings plans and plan governance.
- Understand best practices in risk management, particularly for day-to-day plan administration.
Complete all three levels and receive your Pensions Program Certificate.
Each day builds on the knowledge and skills of the previous level. Successful graduates will have completed all three levels.
Level 1: Introduction to the key elements of retirement savings plans and plan governance
- The three pillars of retirement savings
- An overview of government administered pension programs
- Types of employer sponsored retirement plans
- Basic principles of plan governance
- Risk management and best practices in plan governance
Level 2: Key principles of plan funding and investments
- An overview of the tax rules
- Actuarial funding and valuations
- Funding arrangement options
- Investment rules and regulations
- De-risking options and trends
Level 3: Regulatory compliance and best practices in plan administration and communications
- An overview of the complex web of legislation applicable to pension plans
- Minimum standards governing member entitlements
- Consequences of regulatory non-compliance
- Identify common administration pitfalls
- The importance of getting clear and accurate communications
- Gain an understanding of the legal and regulatory framework that applies to pension and other retirement savings plans.
- Learn tips on best practices in plan administration and governance.
- Get strategies to reduce risk and liability in plan administration.
Who should attend?
HR professionals, pension committee members, boards of trustees, c-suite executives.