February 2015 Challenge exam registration has now closed.
May 2015 registration will open as of Feb 7, 2015.
Note: For individuals who are writing challenge exams as a way in which to qualify to write the CKE on June 6, 2015, marks from May 2015 sitting will be released by the late transcript deadline of May 22, 2015 which for successful candidates will mean they can still write the June sitting of the CKE. Reminder to register for the CKE by April 6, 2015.
For the purposes of meeting HRPA’s
coursework requirement for the CHRP and CHRL designations, an alternative to
completing specific course requirements is the Challenge Exams. Challenge Exams
are designed to assess an applicant’s academic currency in an individual
subject area and are similar to a final exam in the subject. They enable an
applicant to achieve credit in a required subject area without retaking a
course, giving them credit for previous academic or experiential knowledge in a
Challenge Exams may be taken anywhere
with sittings held three times per year in February, May and October. A maximum
of three subjects can be written per sitting. The passing grade for a Challenge
Exam is 65%.
For those who wish to write their
challenge exam at an alternate testing site, arrangements can be made by
contacting a local college or university and booking the exam through the
testing facility. This is for those individuals residing outside of the GTA.
Challenge Examinations are typically recommended when:
- A course grade does not meet HRPA's minimum grade requirement
- A course was taken more than 10 years ago
- An individual has extensive job-related or academic experience in a subject area
Challenge Exam Schedule 2015
|Feb 2, 3, 4 2015
||January 23, 2015
||January 30, 2015|
|May 5, 6, 7 2015
||April 24, 2015
||April 27, 2015|
Individuals may register for the exams up to two weeks prior to the exam date. Those who wish to register for Challenge Exams after the deadline should contact staff in the Office of the Registrar directly and make their request in writing.
- On the exam day, registrants must present valid photo identification to be admitted to the testing room.
- On-site Challenge Exam registrations are not permitted at the testing location. Registrations and payment must be completed prior to writing the examination.
- No papers, texts or materials may be brought to the examinations. Individuals writing the Financial and Managerial Accounting Challenge Exam are permitted a calculator only.
- Individuals arriving to the examination more than 30 minutes past the start time will not be permitted to write the exam and will forfeit the exam fees.
- Individuals who fail to appear for the examinations without prior notification will forfeit their exam fees.
Deferral and Withdrawal Policy
Examination fees, (minus a $25.00 administrative fee) are refunded upon permanent withdrawal up to one week prior to the exam date. Withdrawal requests must be made in writing to Kelly Morris (email@example.com) up to one week prior to the exam date. No withdrawals will be permitted less than one week prior to the exam date unless it is due medical reasons or bereavement. Supporting documentation must be provided to HRPA.
Challenge Exam registrations can be deferred to the next examination period only once. Deferral requests must be made in writing to Kelly Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org) up to one week prior to the exam date. No deferrals will be permitted less than one week prior to the exam date.