HR Domains (Career GPS): Performance and Rewards; Function Management; Employee Relations
Sometimes it seems the HR and Payroll Departments are speaking different languages when it comes to terminations. Gain a better understanding of payroll terminology to avoid common mistakes and misunderstandings.
- What is termination of employment (reasons of termination)?
- What are the legal requirements for notice pay and severance under Employment/Labour Standards?
- What is the difference between notice pay and severance pay?
- What qualifies as a salary continuance versus a retiring allowance?
- What are the required source deductions for these termination payments?
- T4 and T4A reporting
Annie Chong is Manager of the Payroll Consulting Group at Carswell, a Thomson Reuters business. She is actively involved with the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) as a Subject Matter Expert and member of the CPA’s Federal Government Relations Advisory Council, where she sits as the Chair of the Readability Sub-Committee. She also serves as a member of the Employment Insurance Board of Trustees