For the purposes of meeting HRPA’s coursework requirement, an alternative to specific course requirements are the challenge exams. Challenge Exams are a self-study method designed to assess an applicant’s academic currency in an individual subject area and are akin to a final exam in the subject. They enable an applicant to achieve credit in a required subject area without retaking a course thereby accrediting the applicant for previous academic or experiential knowledge in a subject. A challenge exam may be taken anywhere. Challenge exams are offered many times during the year.
The Challenge Exam sittings are held three times per year, in February, May and October and a maximum of 3 subjects can be written per sitting. The passing grades for a Challenge Exam is 65%.
Challenge Examinations are typically recommended when:
- A course grade does not meet HRPA's minimum grade requirement
- A course was taken more than 10 years ago
- An individual has extensive job-related or academic experience in a subject area
Exam Schedule 2013
|Feb 11,12,13 2013
||Feb 1, 2013
||February 4, 2013|
|May 7, 8, 9 2013
||May 1, 2013
||May 3, 2013|
|October 7,8,9 2013
||Sept 27, 2013
||October 1, 2013|
Challenge Exam Policies and Procedures
Individuals may register for the exams up to two weeks prior to the exam date. Those who wish to register for Challenge Exams after the deadline should contact staff in the Office of the Registrar directly and make their request in writing.
- On the exam day, registrants must present valid photo identification to be admitted to the testing room.
- On-site Challenge Exam registrations are not permitted at the testing location. Registrations and payment must be completed prior to writing the examination.
- No additional papers, texts or materials may be brought to the examinations. Individuals writing the Financial and Managerial Accounting Challenge Exam are permitted a calculator only.
- Individuals arriving to the examination more than 30 minutes past the start time will not be permitted to write the exam and will forfeit the exam fees.
- Individuals who fail to appear for the examinations without prior notification will forfeit their exam fees.
Deferral and Withdrawal Policy:
Examination fees, (minus a $25.00 administrative fee) are refunded upon permanent withdrawal up to one week prior to the exam date. Withdrawal requests must be made in writing to Kelly Morris (email@example.com) within one week prior to the exam date.
Challenge Exam registrations can be deferred to the next examination period only once. Deferral requests must be made in writing to Kelly Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org) within one week prior to the exam date. No deferrals will be permitted less than one week prior to the exam date.