The Events Committee: Where the good stuff happens!
Who we are
The Events Committee creates a medium for HR professionals to come together to network and learn, and hopefully have some fun in the process. We seek to identify and host insightful and informative industry leaders and experts so that members can enhance their professional competencies and network in an engaging setting.
Visit our volunteer section to view our list of Committee Members.
How you can help
We welcome your suggestions and feedback regarding topics and speakers of interest, and the support of sponsors who make it possible to run these events. Please contact us at Events@hrpatoronto.ca.
New Member Orientation - April 16, 2015
New members will be provided with information about the HRPA Toronto Chapter, including how to get involved and how to extract maximum value from their membership.
Time: 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Location: Hotel Novotel Toronto Centre – 45 The Esplanade, Toronto, ON
Non Members: $10.00
Addressing Mental Health in the Workplace Panel Discussion - April 22, 2015
Professional Development Breakfast
Mental health awareness has become an increasingly larger issue in recent years and it is important that we as HR professionals know how to support our employees.
Please come join us for a panel discussion on Addressing Mental Health in the Workplace. The panel will comprise of psychologist Dr. Noah Lazar; Paula Allen, Morneau Shepell’s Vice President of Research and Integrative Solutions and moderated by Peter Demangos.
We will discuss:
- Recognizing the signs of an employee’s mental illness and the best method of assisting them without making them uncomfortable;
- How to support employees with mental health issues both while they are at work and on a leave of absence;
- Helping them transition back to work after being on a leave of absence.
- The different programs available to employees struggling with mental illness.
- Registration / breakfast: 7:00 – 8:00 AM
- Presentation: 8:00 – 9:30 AM
- Networking: 9:30 – 10:00 AM
Location: Marriott Hotel, 90 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON M4W 1A7
Non Members: $35.00
Student Members: $15.00
Members in Transition: $15.00 with a promo code only
This event is pre-approved for 1.5 CPD hours.
Interns and Independent Contractors - April 22, 2015
During this presentation we will explore what differentiates an independent contractor from a dependent contractor, what factors the Courts examine when assessing whether an individual is an independent vs dependent contractor, and what entitlements dependent contractors have upon the termination of the relationship with their employer.
About the Speaker:
Stan Fainzilberg is an Associate with Samfiru Tumarkin LLP practicing in the areas of Employment, Labour, and Human Rights law. Stan provides strategic legal advice and representation to employees and employers on a wide range of workplace issues including wrongful and constructive dismissals, drafting employment contracts and personnel policies, and human rights and sexual harassment complaints.
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Location: Webinar (the link will be provided 24 hours before the webinar)
Student Members: $20.00
This event is pre-approved for 1.0 CPD hour.
I AM IN CANADA! NOW WHAT? - April 22, 2015
A presentation to Internationally Educated Professionals (IEPs)
This presentation is especially designed for IEPs to realize their unique offerings as a Professional, and to remain motivated and energized as they assimilate proficiently into the Canadian employment environment. Rose-Marie Fernandez will provide participants with strategies on moving forward in their journey and tools to create a personal blueprint so that they can achieve their professional goals.
Workshop objectives for participants:
- Understand the Canadian employment environment from the perspective of an IEP
- Identify possible barriers and pitfalls that they may encounter in their journey to gain employment
- Develop coping mechanisms to move forward successfully
- Learn strategies on how to use their international education and experience to their advantage
- Walk away with a how-to blue print to establish themselves as successful HR Practitioners
Who should attend: Internationally Educated Professionals:
- Registration & Networking: 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- Food Service (buffet): 6:00 – 6:30 PM
- Presentation: 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Wrap-Up: 8:00 – 8:15 PM
Location: Delta Toronto East, 2035 Kennedy Road, Scarborough, ON M1T 3G2
Non Members: $20.00